capulet,

Literary: (Com)Promise

3/22/2016 10:12:00 PM Media Center 0 Comments



I promise you the universe and all the galaxies in it.

Yet in truth, I cannot offer you even a single star. You’re perfectly aware of how little of myself I can give you but you look past that and still insist on loving someone like me. I will never understand why.

I promise that you will always come first.

I can never be your first priority because there will always be something more important. Your world is much greater than I, for I am merely a part of it. That is all right, though, for I know my boundaries. I know the restricted areas and the lines that I cannot cross.

I promise I’ll never keep anything from you.

There are still things we have yet to find out about each other. We both have our secrets - those hiding in the deepest, most secluded corners of our hearts. Time, however, has taught us that they eventually come out on their own, wanting - longing to reveal themselves.

I promise I’ll never make you cry.

And I thought you never would. But love is a bittersweet thing, and loving you, even more so. We’ve fought countless times and cried just as many yet we’ve always found ways to make it work. Pride? There is no such thing when it comes to us.

I promise to stay.

There were times I stood on the edge, peering down at what my life would be like without you. I was tempted to jump off; to live the way it was before we met. But then I realized how wrong I was to even think of such a thing. I’d lose a great part of myself if I let that happen - the part that you and I shared. So I’ll stay a little longer, not only for you, but for me as well.


Isn’t it a wonder how we never seem to keep our promises? Yet you and I both know that we’ve made plenty. You see, we have this tendency to over-expect - to overestimate the things we’re capable of.

But I find it beautiful how we don’t fulfill these promises of ours. It shows me just how human we are, and how human we are together. These moments of compromise, of give-and-take, and of making it work are those that really test the love that I feel towards you. But my feelings have not changed since the time I became sure that I’d love you for the rest of my life.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: